Hej !!! Happy New Year
My hair care routine that I want to share with you is not a rocket science, neither a panacea for all hair problems nor the secret of Rapunzel’s beautiful hair 😉
My main reason of writing this blog is to tell you the importance of “Basics”. Over the past few years, I tried so many tricks and tips but at the end what really worked for me was nothing, but the basics that I learnt growing up. These simple hair care routine habits worked for me and also helped me during my postpartum hair loss phase.
I would recommend to try this simple routine on a consistent basis but don’t worry even if you can’t cause it’s really easy to get back on these tips anytime. Feel free to print these points and paste it wherever it’s easy for you to refer if needed. So, let’s get started.
First thing first. For me, hair oil is so important to prevent my hair from dying ( drying 😉 ). I’m sure each one of us must have heard some of the benefits of using hair oil on a regular basis. If not, this article will surely help you to know more about it.
How I use :
I love to apply hair oil on to my scalp, roots and more towards the ends of my hair a night before I wash my hair. By doing that I allow my hair to get most benefits out of the hair oil that I am using. I also like to warm hair oil before I apply on my scalp. It is not compulsory but surely is advantageous. Warm hair oil is easy for application and also gets absorbed by hair follicles quickly.
On those days when I am really busy and haven’t been able to apply hair oil a night before hair wash, I still prefer to use hair oil in the morning about an hour before I shampoo my hair. I am extremely committed to this process and it has really helped me to maintain enough moisture into my hair and not letting them look extremely dry and dull.
I have got an oily scalp and dry hair so I ensure I slather my hair into oil but at the same time would not go overboard on scalp. I am sure many of you can relate this problem with me and that is the reason I would like to mention that hair oil can be used by each and every individual.
My Favourite Organic Hair Oils:
- Hemp Seed Oil
- Castor Oil
- Almond Oil
- Olive Oil
- Coconut Oil
I love to combine any two of the above mentioned oils and use it straight away.
Why do you need to do this?
Have you ever got foot massage done? OR your body massage done? OMG that feeling is just amazing. Your body feels so relaxed, rejuvenated and absolutely fresh. Your head scalp needs the same treatment and in fact more often.
Head massage helps with the blood circulation in your scalp which in turn stimulates the hair follicles. This process strengthen your hair and helps you grow thicker hair. I am sure this is what we all need. Esp, as we age we tend to loose more hair. Women’s body go through many life stages where we unintentionally and unknowingly damage our skin and hair. After having a baby, I had a huge hair loss and that is absolutely a normal process. I was pretty much ready for it but it is really hard to go through that phase. My consistent hair care routine has helped me a lot to get back to stable hair life cycle. 🙂
How to do a head massage?
Head massage can be done by yourself anywhere and anytime. Whether you are watching TV, working in the office or just lying on your bed. Use your finger tips to gently massage your head in a circular motion for at least couple of minutes. It will ease out all your stress, knots and will leave your head feel so light and relaxed. It also helps you getting a sound sleep which again is so good for our body and skin to recover overnight.
I usually give myself a good head massage when I am using hair oil. That way I ensure that this is a part of my routine and is done at least twice a week. My mum used to do it in my childhood and some times even now when she visits me. I also ask my husband to do it for me and in return I also give him a good massage 🙂 Such a good way to involve and encourage family members into self care.
Regular application of hair mask can really make huge difference in the appearance of your hair. Our hair needs extra care considering how much pollution, dirt and chemical treatments affect our hair adversely on a daily basis. I personally love using my own DIY hair masks and I see result straight away.
Conditioners are good but not enough to provide hydration to our hair and that’s where hair masks come in the picture. It adds life to your dry and dull hair just on the first attempt itself.
My favourite homemade DIY hair masks are –
- Coconut oil mask : I swear by coconut oil when I am struggling with dry hair. This hair mask is super easy, affordable and convenient. All you need is organic coconut oil and that’s pretty much it. Warm your coconut oil and slather your hair in to it. Wear a shower cap or any other plastic bag and also ensure to use extra pillow cover to make sure you don’t ruin your pillow. Wash your hair next morning with your regular shampoo and conditioner. Voila! your hair will thank you for this 🙂
- Yogurt, Honey and Olive Oil : I love using yogurt on my hair. It just adds life to my hair in minutes and also make them look shiny and healthy. Olive oil is very nourishing and honey has antibacterial property which helps you fight against dandruff or any other fungal infection. All you need is 2 tbsp of Greek yogurt, 1 tbsp olive oil and 1 tsp honey. Mix everything well and apply on scalp and hair. Leave it for 30-45 minutes before you wash your hair.
- PureAloe Vera Gel and Yogurt : I am sure I don’t need to say how amazing Aleo Vera gel is for our skin and hair. I love using straight from the plant but feel free to use a pure aloe gel if you don’t have a plant. Add a tbsp of yogurt and rub into your scalp and over your hair. Wash your hair after 30 minutes to see healthy and hydrated hair. You can never go wrong with this hair mask.
Invest into quality hair products. It may take a while to find out the most suitable shampoo and conditioner for your hair type, but the hustle is all worth at the end. I like to use hydrating shampoo once a week to ensure my hair looks healthy but at the same time my scalp is oily so I ensure not to use hydrating shampoo too often.
There are so many hair hydrating deep conditioning masks available and sometimes I also enjoy them but most of the times I use my own DIY hair masks (mentioned above). I also highly recommend to visit a good dermatologist if you think you have serious dandruff or fungal infection issues and unable to decide which brand to rely for your regular hair hygiene. I have dyed my hair and currently I am using ‘Strong Sexy hair’ shampoo, conditioner and blonde shampoo. I also love using ‘De Lorenzo Instant Illumin8’ and I usually switch between these two brands.
Also, I love using overnight coconut hair mask esp when I am going to wash my hair with a purple shampoo next morning. Purple shampoos are surely an effective toner for coloured hair but it dries our hair out really quickly, hence it is a good idea to use hair oils before the application.
Interesting Hair Care Tips
- Do not wash your hair too often. Stick to 2-3 times a week. I rely on high ponytails and messy bun hairstyle when my hair feels a bit oily. I am not a fan of dry shampoo so I don’t use it at all.
- Invest into a Silk Pillowcase. OMG! I just can’t tell you enough that this is going to be the best treat for your hair and skin. Silk pillowcase keeps your hair hydrated and visibly you will see less hair on your pillow case 🙂
- Change your night time hair style. ‘Two braids’ is my favourite hairstyle before going to bed and it just helps to minimise hair damage and hair loss.
- Make argan oil hair serum your best friend. I use it straight after hair wash and also on those days when my hair feels lifeless. ‘Make’ soft argan oil is my favourite product.
- Minimise the usage of hair styling tools. I like to air dry my hair every time after wash. Also to create waves, I make 4 braids before going to bed and next morning my hair will have a natural looking waves. There are so many videos on you tube on how to create curls/waves without styling tools and they really work 🙂
These tips may sound simple but I guarantee of it working wonders if used consistently. This hair care routine has been a saviour to my hair and I swear by it. I am really hoping you to try this for at least 3-4 weeks to see results.
Till then, Like a Lime 🙂